Sunday, December 11, 2016

Fourth floor, last door...

The first real snowfall of the season hit yesterday! It was awesome- except for the fact Gene and Rosemary couldn't come to church because of it! The roads were too icy and they hadn't plowed them yet, so there were a lot less people at church. BUT guess who showed up right as the meeting started? CLOIS! It was such a pleasant surprise because she told us she'd been sick and wouldn't be able to make it. But she said she really wanted to come, so there she was! Everyone was so excited to see her and she always says she feels so loved after coming to church. She's the best! Do I hear water filling up the font? 

It was one of those weeks where everything seemed to completely fall through. We spent hours tracting and couldn't get in a single door. The phrase from President Uchtdorf's talk from Women's Conference was playing in my head the whole time: "Fourth floor, last door." So it's almost curfew, but we decide to knock one last door- and it's THE door! This super nice guy named John answered and we taught him the Restoration on his doorstep! We gave him a Book of Mormon and he promised to read it. He said he'd grown up Lutheran but was looking for something more. We have high hopes for him! Gene and Rosemary have been doing really well with the Word of Wisdom! They usually have a tin can full of cigarettes on their front steps, but when we went over this week it was completely cleaned out! They also haven't been drinking coffee, which is HUGE for Rosemary! Woohoo!
Saturday night we were contacting at a tree-lighting, and we met this family who just moved here from Guam! We got to talking and it turned out both of their daughters were JUST baptized in the church back in Guam! Their parents are finally ready to learn more about the gospel, and we are SO excited to teach them. They're golden!

One of the members (well, all of them, but especially this one) is so wonderful and treats us like her daughters every time we go over there. Since she knew I was from Mississippi she made me and Sister Wilcox sweet potato pie! It was FABULOUS. As we were leaving she was like, "I have something for you," and proceeded to give us a Backstreet Boys CD. I don't know what we're supposed to do with it, but I'm sure in some way we can relate the lyrics to the gospel and justify listening to some of it, right? "The spirit is indeed willing, but the flesh is weak." 

I took the most embarrassing fall down a flight of stairs at our complex. It was super icy and apparently I was so loud that the neighbors came out to see who died. Pretty sure people think Sis Wilcox beats me since I'm a little bit black and blue haha. Good thing it's too cold for anything other than heavy duty long-sleeves! #literallysoawkward

Anyway, since yesterday was fast Sunday, I want to bear you my testimony on how much I've come to know and love the Savior through studying the Book of Mormon. I love reading the Bible, but there's a spirit I feel while reading the Book of Mormon that hits me more powerfully than any book I've ever read or sermon I've ever heard. I learn so much about how to become more like Jesus Christ and how much He truly loves us. If you haven't read the Book of Mormon, I invite you to read from it, even if it's just a page, and pray to Heavenly Father to reveal to you if it's truly His word. I promise that He will manifest the truthfulness of it unto you by the power of the Holy Ghost- it will truly change your life. I'm grateful for the changes it's helped me make in my life to be a kinder, more patient, and hopefully more Christ-like daughter of God. None of us will ever be perfect in this life, but living the precepts in the Book of Mormon will sure help us get there! I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Love, Sister Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment