Monday, January 11, 2016

New Year, New Goals, New Baptisms

HAPPY NEW YEAR! How is it 2016 already? This week was a blast. Missionary work was really slow because of the holidays with everyone out of town, so we got to have a little break and do some fun stuff. The sisters in our zone had a sleepover- we stayed up to count down to New Years and then I promptly passed out...the exhaustion is REAL. The next morning we had a huge zone breakfast. We all went to the church building early in the morning to cook, and then we went bowling and hung out all day. Can I talk about how this is the most marriage-hungry group of people I've ever met? 3 of the elders are already engaged and 90% of the sisters are planning on being married within 6 months of getting home. I feel like that's all we talk about! But it's all in the Lord's time. For now...missionary work!!!
We have 2 baptisms set for January 15!!! It's really tricky though, because both of them struggle with keeping their commitments, and that's vital for strengthening their faith. (Any ideas on how to help a chain smoker quit cold turkey???) I don't remember if I wrote about it in my last email, but we met the coolest guy named Nate while tracting who is super interested in the gospel and asked us to come back when his wife was home. We did, and they're literally the cutest couple I have ever seen, but she's content with where she is and says they aren't looking for anything more religiously. Which totally isn't true because I could feel Nate's yearning to learn more. It really sucks because his eyes said "Please come back" but his wife was like "Thanks see ya never." He did offer the sweetest prayer after we met and said in it that he hoped he would see us again soon. I know when the time is right she'll be ready to accept the gospel and he'll be a great strength to her. But it's not in my timeline, it's in the Lord's. (D&C 64 verses 32-33...holla!)
We had a missionary training on how to love and build a relationship with your companion- basically like marriage. The biggest thing was to keep everything positive! Relationships thrive in positivity. Luckily with Sister Teuscher that's not hard...we're probably laughing 99% of the time. I'm not even able to talk about her leaving soon. It's not happening.
Quick funny story and then I'll quit boring you and sign off. We went tracting (as per usual) and we knock on this house that legit looks abandoned but #nohouseleftbehind, so yeah. Surprisingly this guy opens the door and is really nice. He's like, "I'd invite you in but I'm having a shindig right now." ....... *alone, computer in hand, two days beard growing*
OKAY. You crazy but you nice so it's whatever. We finna go back and trick him into letting us in.
Anyway, the church is so true I can't even. 
Haha but seriously, everything about this gospel brings me more happiness that I could ever obtain on my own. Joseph Smith truly restored the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and translated the AMAZING Book of Mormon, which guides every step of my life. And I KNOW this because the Holy Ghost has testified to me over and over again every day that these things are true. No one can take that away from me, and till the day I die I'll say as Alma from the Book of Mormon "...Yea, who can say too much of His great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." -Alma 26 verse 16. (It's a good chapter, check it out).
I hope this 2016 brings everything you're searching for this year, and for the rest of your life. And if you're not sure what that is yet, I pray you'll find it :) (better yet, pray for yourself and let God direct you! Can't go wrong with that.) -Sister Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment