Friday, January 22, 2016

Just a small town girl, living in a below zero world...

To start off, can I tell you what -10 degrees feels like? NOT GOOD. This week with the wind chill it was -20 degrees...did you know the wind can physically burn?? On the bright side I'm getting to bust out those super attractive long-john thermals...come at me, snow.
This week went by so quick, but it was so packed. This last week has been a blessing for finding new investigators. When I first got to the area we had 2, and now with one week left in the transfer, we've got 10! And they're GOLDEN. My infinitely wise mother has taught me countless things through the years, but I think the most important lesson I've taken with me on the mission is BRING TREATS AND PEOPLE WILL LET YOU IN. We spent all day baking 6 dozen cookies for members, less-actives, investigators- you name them, we baked for them. It really works! They love you for bringing food, and then they're obligated to listen to a quick message. It's GREAT! #sneakysisters
Last email I think I talked about Jeffrey, the nurse we met while visiting a sick member (who's now recovering and doing great!). We brought him some cookies to say thank you, and his eyes started welling up. He'd been on call 3 nights in a row and was feeling really low, and never got thanked for his hard work at the hospital. He committed to come to church, but yesterday he never showed. But he's got a great heart and we'll keep working with him! 
Another AMAZING investigator we have is Mercy! Mercy is a nurse at one of the nursing homes we frequent. One of the members there has been talking to her about the church and gave her her copy of the Book of Mormon. The other day she ran up to us and was telling us how wonderful the BoM was and she was learning so much, and is feeding us sometime this week so we can teach her more! Mercy is a tender spirit. I don't remember what we were even talking about, but I bore my very small, simple testimony to her about something we were discussing, and she got really quiet for a minute. I thought I'd said something wrong, but she said "What you just said went straight to my heart and into my soul, and God testified to me that what you said is true." We both got kinda teary-eyed...I can't be seen showing any emotion or it'll ruin my rep ;). But it was such a sweet moment and the spirit was so strong I couldn't help it. I wish I could be as in tune with the spirit as she is. 
There are so many surreal experiences we had with our investigators this week I can't even write them all, but I will write that the work is hastening in Minneapolis and the children of God here are READY. I know their hearts have been prepared to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Being fed by Africans is the best. It's like spicy southern food, so I feel right at home! And they feed you ALL. THE. TIME. If you stop by, even just for five minutes, they will have a plate oranges and Fu Fu for you in a millisecond. And they get super offended if you don't take seconds (and thirds, and fourths), so I may have a hole in my stomach from so much habanero pepper. Definitely getting as much exercise in as we possibly can in every day...perishing for want of food will not be happening in this area.
P-Days in downtown Minneapolis are the best! There's always a ton of fun stuff to do and see. Granted it's nothing compared to the crazies in Hollywood, but it's a little taste of home! Today, since it's both -5 degrees and also Sister Teuscher's last P-day, we'll spend most of it inside packing and cleaning for when my new companion comes. But for dinner we're splurging on Applebees with the Elders...holla!
Please pray for Barbara and Brandy! They're so solid, but Word of Wisdom is really tough for some people. But through Christ we can overcome anything! He'll never give us something we can't handle. I'm so happy here, this is the only place I want to be! As the days go on I become more thuggin' and more spiritual as I could have ever hoped for. Love you all! 

-Sister Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment